Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Spell-Check Society

Not that I’m overly intrigued by how to spell the word “zucchini,” but it strikes me: when the heavy, old dictionary is sitting on my shelf, and my laptop is within arm’s reach, I’m far more prone to type in my best guess, and let autocorrect take over.

Perhaps I do that too much with what I’m to be learning in general; maybe I’ve deemed it easier to let myself be corrected by default, and never actually recognize that knowing how to "spell" has intrinsic value.

Is it not easier (or at least seemingly more convenient at the onset) to forge ahead with however we think life should go, and let God “autocorrect” us, than to start out submitting to His throne? Isn’t it more tempting to let ‘recuperation’ efforts be the drain on our energies, than to actually do what we were originally told would ‘profit’ us?

And yet Isaiah 48:17 states plainly why His instruction is life to us:

“‘This is what the LORD says –
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I AM the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.”’”

Our waiting to be ‘caught’ rather than diligently applying ourselves to “treasure” His word in our heart (Psalm 119:11), completely undermines us in the purpose for which we were created. For, when we are expecting that God will “amend” where we are “off,” nothing in us is actually learning to “fear God and keep His commandments,” though that is the ‘whole duty’ of man (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

What insight we would borrow from the Scripture - what ruptured communion (Zech. 1:3), what entrapment by the Enemy (2 Cor. 2:11), what heartache over our transgression (Psalm 51:3), we would spare ourselves - if we only applied to our lives the words which would guard us from unrighteousness to start; if our heart’s cry were not, “Lord, save me!” (Matthew 14:30), but rather, “Show me Your ways, O LORD, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me… God my Savior” (Psalm 25:4-5).

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

you should go check out my blog. I had a purple moment. :o)

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home