Saturday, September 01, 2007

Quick Time

I’m wearing my watch, which may sound insignificant… but it’s been broken for a while, and I’ve been without.

It broke without warning. One of the pins on the chain simply fell out one evening while I was putting away a mic stand, and I could never find the little metal link. And so, I’ve been “timeless,” as a friend once joked, for quite a while.

Decided to hunt down a repair shop today, which became a rather frustrating task. The first shop, I’m convinced, does not exist (or else I simply haven’t gotten any better at adjusting to these huge city shopping complexes). The next one I found was closed, though they claimed to be having a sale today.

It was only after I’d decided to head for my last stop that I unexpectedly drove past a jeweler. And so, when that final errand was done, I took the chance. I walked in, and before the man who was paying at the cash register had even finished his transaction, a woman from behind the counter was taking my broken, little watch from my hand. I didn’t even have a chance to show her the break; she quickly inspected the piece, passed it to the man doing repairs, and – within five minutes – my watch was back on my wrist, for an unreasonably low price.

I had already given up on getting it fixed today. (Had even whined that I get tired of how God leaves things “broken.”) But the errands were, as He’d given the impression before I started out this morning, in some way to His glory.

What amazes me is that brokenness can be left for a time, until He – with wisdom which transcends everything but His mercy – quickly, compassionately mends the disrepair to which we’ve actually grown accustomed.

Sometimes it is precisely that prolonged state of brokenness which serves as the best advent for His swift movement, because it is only then that we can see how His refraining was as much under control as His acting. And when, with incredible speed, He brings about the culmination of what He’s sworn by Himself to do, then we, like those who reveled in His cleansing of the temple (2 Chronicles 29:36), can ‘rejoice over what God had prepared for the people because the thing came about suddenly.’

A feat that no one but our timeless God could do --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home