Saturday, April 07, 2007

Time Stamp

Had some work to do in downtown San Jose this morning, and pulled into a rather empty parking lot. There were bags covering the ticket machines, and, not sure if there was a fee for parking on Saturdays, I left my car there – a total of 49 minutes – then pulled away with a horrible, nagging feeling. Even as I was leaving the lot itself, there was this sense that something wasn’t right –

I drove nearly all the way home, then – on San Tomas Aquino, two minutes from my house, made a U turn. I had knowingly stifled the Spirit’s tugging; I had to make the trek back, for the sake of being right with the One who kept pulling in on me – I had to at least see if the machine in the middle of the lot would have taken my money.

The only problem, I could reckon, was that – even if I could get a ticket with a time stamp for the same amount of time my car had originally been there, I’d have to wait that length of time again to “clock out,” which would mean I’d still not be paying for that first stint. Still robbery.

I was justified in returning. The machine took my money. But what I marveled at was how simple: I only had to pay a flat rate, which meant that the time I’d spent there was “paid in full.” No having to wait around; neither would I be driving away only having rendered a partial amount.

And several elements of Christ’s forgiveness grew apparent:

➢ The nudging of the Spirit cannot be ignored without a (gracious!) sense of guilt; the inward uneasiness has to be deliberately fought for us to sin (1 Thessalonians 5:19).
➢ We can trust fully the promptings which God lends us by His protective Spirit. There is no path which He does not fill with either His favor or His warning (Isaiah 30:21; Deuteronomy 11:26-28).
➢ It is only in the trek back to where we had made that decision that our sin is righted; it is only in our willingness to re-enter that place of wrong-doing that we can watch God’s justification be exhibited through us (Zechariah 1:3; Hosea 6:1; Hosea 14:1).
➢ He has supplied us a way to be made “righteous” before Him; He has carved out the exact path we’re to take to be brought back into communion with Him (Acts 2:37-38).
➢ Once that transaction is made, there is no longer a payment to be received; the full amount has been accepted (John 19:30).

Yet, undoubtedly what I marvel at the most is the time stamp – for it was when I arrived home, having been washed of the guilt that I couldn’t be released of without that return, I peered at the stamp. I had decided to turn around at about 10:00 AM, and by the time I got to the lot, it was probably about a quarter past, but the ticket I had in my hand had registered my payment as being made, not at 10:15 AM - but at 9:42 AM.

Praise be to the One who not only presses in us, but has already forgiven us long before we heed His voice --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home