Friday, February 22, 2008

To Miss the Raindrops

Stood in a gusty rain storm yesterday, listening to a veteran begin with the prayer, “Almighty Commander, we have lost a comrade…” Perhaps I was so taken with the volley and taps, or the stately folding of the flag, but, for a good ten minutes or so, I didn’t even notice the raindrops.

And then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught view of a blue, nylon fabric and metal spoke. Waited until the end of the graveside before even looking behind me, and there stood a man, quietly holding a huge umbrella: the reason I had been kept dry for the remainder of the service. I had been so unaware.

How many times God has positioned Himself alongside me in such a way.

And how often I fail to even acknowledge the Source of my protection; to behold that He is the One shielding me. How I fail to understand the goodness which He arches over me.

Sometimes the greatest unnerved wonder comes from the modesty and gentleness of His tender care, and the simple prayer which issues forth is only, “‘I am unworthy of all the kindness… You have shown…’” (Genesis 32:10).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home