Saturday, May 13, 2006

Already Crumbled

A friend sent an e-mail today which asked why I wasn't fighting for myself; in short, why I wouldn't take matters into my own hands. My delighted response was reminiscent of the victory shout at Jericho [Joshua 6:20]: "we're gonna shout loud / loud until the walls come down... we're gonna shout loud / loud until the final shout... because we've already won... yeah, it's already done... we have already won!" (David Crowder).

The fact is, I've spent much of life fighting to secure for myself whatever I thought my greatest need. And the results were, while varied, all relatively similar in their degree of devastation, landing me in everything from isolation, to confusion, to a hospital bed. Never worthwhile. And always too short-sighted to grasp that the work is already done; the victory already secured!

I wonder how much time is spent pursuing those things which are already completed. How often has the Enemy successfully convinced us that the responsibility falls to our shoulders, and we end up chasing those things which God long ago finished on our behalf? How often have I been prone to take matters into my own hands, in the pointed (though never articulated) misconception that my Lord wouldn't actually invest Himself in undertaking for me that which I most need?

It's too easy a trap. Too simple to stare at that wall and convince myself that there MUST be something I'm required to do, all the while forgetting that the walls came down, not because of the shout in verse TWENTY, but because God had already 'given the city' into the Israelites' hands back in verse TWO.

The victory isn't ours because we fought hard for ourselves (in fact, our own efforts are what often bring us down), but instead, because He's declared to us what He has already finished! Praise be to the One who has secured for us the victory, and brings us the message that the walls are already crumbled!

"...thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ..." (2 Corinthians 2:14)!

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Hey Rebecca...I finally found your blog.
I really like this blog...reminds of sum stuff u've been telling me...:)
If you want u can call 2night...I won't be able 2 talk long but...or try my cell sumtime 2morrow...
Thanks so much for everything!!!!
Nicole

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home